Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quitting is forever






Everybody

I had hoped to be writing this in mid July to let everybody know i had made it to Antelope Wells in good condition, but the stars were not aligned for me. I am sorry to say that I am out of the race and back home after only 270 miles of the canadian Rockies. Not to make any excuses, long story short, I started to urinate blood late into the first day, followed by kidney pain on day 2 and 3, and a STRONG desire to return home to my beautiful wife. I am sure i could have stayed in eureka and recovered and moved on, but I feel that i had learned the lessons of the divide early. I am pretty disgusted with myself, but at the same time i have a renewed appreciation for the life i have at home, I am a very lucky man. I knew this before but it often takes something like the great divide to remind you of this. I will write a more comprehensive review of my trip in a few days. I am still trying to make scene of everything I experienced and appreciate the lessons thought to me by the great divide. I would whole heartedly recommend that everybody experience there own personal great divide adventure at least once in there life, the lessons learned about life will help you appreciate the simple things and appreciate the things you may take for granted. Thanks again to everybody that supported me in this adventure! More to follow soon.

For your entertainment, some shots from the great divide.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jim - enjoyed racing with/ against (ha!) you on the Tour Divide. That was so brutal going into Elkford that first night. I think it was the elevation for me. The entire first week was really tough and then it turned into a different kind of daily ass-kicking. I thought for sure you were gonna make it. I have a couple pictures of you... will update my blog one of these days....
    DaveT

    ReplyDelete